Saturday, June 27, 2009

Father's Day Dive at La Jolla Shores

As much as I love diving, it requires a level of motivation other sports just don't require. First there's your BCD or buoyancy control device, then there's your tank, octopus, regulator, wetsuit, mask, fins, and snorkel. And to top it all off you have to wear booties, gloves, a hood, and 6 mm wetsuit due to the cold temperatures here in San Diego. All in all, one of the best workouts you can have while escaping the rat race of land life.

Nik and I try to get out to the shores for a few dives any time we have the opportunity. Father's day was an especially nice day because we were able to squeeze two dives in on a beautiful day at the shores. Although the water was about 67 degrees and several PADI classes were taking place, we experienced good conditions. I guess I am biased, but I can't remember the last time i had a "bad time" diving.

Since I havent been able to justify the purchase of an expensive housing for my Canon GL2, we decided to use Nik's aging Canon s45 and underwater housing. We set the camera to video mode and closed the housing, crossing our fingers that we would have enough battery power to get through two dives - here are our dive logs:




The experience taking video and editing a small project was very positive and an investment in a camera housing is a consideration. Spending 1.5 hours underwater in a weightless environment is something I highly recommend. Put SCUBA diving on your "things to do before I die" list, its really worth all of the effort.

1 comment: