Monday, July 6, 2009

Zion National Park


It's hard to find the words to describe the natural beauty and awe around every corner of this planet we call earth. I find great joy and solitude in spending time outdoors camping and hiking exploring the wilderness here in our great country. As I write this blog, I am currently sitting next to a dwindling campfire at our campsite here at Zion River Resort in Utah reflecting on the past three days. Some words that come to mind include inspiring, remarkable, and majestic. Zion National Park is definitely one of the most remarkable natural features I have ever experienced. It demonstrates how a small river can erode solid rock over time and create canyons which give berth to some of the most diverse ecosystems in the world.

Looking back at the events over the past few days, I have realized that unlocking the full potential of Zion will require another visit, if not more. During our stay, we were able to visit some of the parks more popular day hikes including Canyon Overlook, the Narrows, Angels Landing, and Weeping Rock.

I thoroughly enjoyed every hike but found some limitations in carrying my 16 month old son. Although I have a great Kelty carrier, hikes such as Angel's Landing are just not worth the risk. As we stared up at the summit I felt a sense of disappointment but at the same time a great sense of accomplishment. Although I did not make it to the summit of Angel's Landing, I realized that most people would not imagine even attempting the strenuous trek with a child that young. The views from Scout's lookout were spectacular and left me with some memories that I will never forget.


My personal favorite, the Narrows, takes you on a half mile hike along side the Virgin River before you come to a point where you must wade in the water to cross. Once the paved road ends, you can continue up the Narrows for about 8 miles or until the water becomes to deep to continue. We only followed the river for about 1/4 mile due to the electronic equipment we were carrying and the children. To me, this trip was just an orientation to what the park has to offer and I expect to return in hopes of uncovering its full potential.

As the last flame from the campfire dissipates into the night sky, as does our latest wild adventure. We had an amazing time and enjoyed our stay in Utah even though the weather was consistently over 100 degrees. As a new annual pass member, Marjeri and I are looking forward to what our amazing national parks have to offer in the upcoming year. Stay tuned for our next big adventure...

1 comment:

  1. Aaah... what an adventure! Thanks for including us! It was definitely a trip to rememeber!

    ReplyDelete